ASI was present at this year’s Ontario Archaeological Society Symposium, held at the Crowne Plaza Fallsview Hotel in Niagara Falls. ASI was the head sponsor for the book launch and opening reception on the evening of Friday, October 25th for the new book Before Ontario: The Archaeology of a Province.
Many ASI staff attended the conference, with some involved in giving papers for various sessions:
- Dave Robertson and Eva MacDonald: Archaeological Evidence of the Battle at York, April 27, 1813
- Ron Williamson and Rob MacDonald: Echoes of the Iroquois Wars: Contested Heritage and Identity in the Ancestral Homeland of the Huron-Wendat
- Rob MacDonald: Envisioning the Next Phase of Ontario Archaeology
- John Dunlop: Geophysical Survey Applications to Southern Ontario Archaeology: An Examination of Recent Trends and Future Applications
- Alexis Dunlop: In Small Things Forgotten: A Review of Collections Management in the Framework of Ontario’s CRM Industry
Some members of ASI’s staff, as well as long time friends and colleagues of the company, were also the recipients of a number of awards granted by the OAS at the banquet on Saturday October 26th.
- ASI’s Dr. Ron Williamson and Dr. Jennifer Birch received an award for Excellence in Publishing for The Mantle Site book. Jennifer
received the award on behalf of Dr. Williamson and ASI.
- ASI’s John Dunlop was the recipient of the Student Paper Award (as he is also a graduate student at the University of Western Ontario) for his paper “Geophysical Survey Applications to Southern Ontario Archaeology: An Examination of Recent Trends and Future Applications.”
- Jack and Mike Rooney (long time associates of ASI) received this year’s Heritage Conservation Award for their many years of dedicated service to the CRM industry with their company Rooney Brothers Gradall Service Ltd.