Located in the geographic Township of Scarborough, now the City of Toronto, the 2.5 hectare Alexandra site spanned much of the mid- to late fourteenth century A.D. in two major overlapping phases of occupation. Excavations at the site were conducted in advance of subdivision development.
Bishop’s Block is a site located in downtown Toronto that was excavated to make way for the newly built Shangri-La hotel. Foundations of four townhouses built in 1832 and 1860 were uncovered, and tens of thousands of artifacts were analyzed from this important early-nineteenth century site.
The excavation of the late-eighteenth-century and early-nineteenth-century Butler Homestead site has made a significant contribution to our understanding of the early history of Colonel John Butler (famous Loyalist) and his family in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and to regional and national history in general.
As part of the Evergreen Brick Works revitalization project, ASI was retained to carry out Stage 4 archaeological excavations, as well as the monitoring and documentation of construction excavations for the Don Valley Brick Works complex – a natural and cultural heritage facility.
The Edgar site is a mid-nineteenth century Euro-Canadian domestic occupation that was excavated in Vaughan, Ontario. The artifacts recovered and the features excavated at the Edgar site point toward a domestic/farm type of occupation, with a likely date range of 1830s to 1870.
In advance of construction for a new runway, taxiway and deicing facility at Lester B. Pearson International Airport, ASI was retained to excavate the structural remains of a nineteeth-century Catholic church and rectory, as well as exhume and rebury a total of 622 individuals from its associated cemetery. The vast majority of those interred at Elmbank were of Irish descent.
This Stage 2 archaeological resource assessment at Fort York National Historic Site was prompted by planning for the construction of a new Visitor Centre. A ground-penetrating radar survey proceeded to excavation through five areas of operation in an area that the City of Toronto has identified for the facility.
As part of the the production of a War of 1812 documentary film, ASI was retained to excavate an exploratory trench in order to locate the remains of the Government House on the grounds of the Fort York National Historic Site. A total of 3,986 Euro-Canadian artifacts related to the house and Fort York were recovered.
The Graham site was a small Early Woodland period (Meadowood Complex) ritual site, ca. 2,000-1,200 BP, excavated in Caledon in advance of construction of a stormwater management pond. The site yielded a large number of native copper artifacts, lithics, and a unique animal cremation burial with copper bead and biface offerings.
Discovered in Thornhill, Ontario, the 2008 Stage 4 archaeological mitigation of the Hidden Spring site yielded a settlement pattern consisting of two overlapping longhouses, two middens, and several exterior activity areas of a late fifteenth-century ancestral Huron-Wendat special purpose or cabin site.
Discovered during the cultural heritage resource assessment for the Red Hill Creek Expressway project in Hamilton, the King’s Forest Park site was occupied during the later portion of the Early Iroquoian period, with evidence of extensive exterior activity and refuse disposal areas.
The King’s Point Site was discovered in Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1998 and yielded approximately 30,000 pre-contact artifacts including Early, Middle and Late Archaic projectile points and Early to Late Woodland Period lithics and pottery fragments. It was used most frequently by hunter-gatherers between 5,500 – 3,000 and 2,000 – 1,500 years ago.
The Mantle Site is an early sixteenth century ancestral (Huron) Wendat village site located in the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville. This large, nine acre village produced over 18,000 artifacts from the initial controlled surface collection and subsequent excavations yielded evidence of eight rows of palisade representing various re-building sequences and over 95 longhouses.
In 2007, ASI was retained to examine a burial area of Toronto’s Old Don Jail. The investigation led to to the discovery of fifteen individuals who were all hanged at the jail between 1872-1930. The report details the discovery of the unapproved cemetery and the subsequent identification of individuals.
The Peace Bridge site is an extensive pre-contact quarry and habitation site located in Fort Erie that ASI has investigated over the past 20 years as redevelopment of the site has required. This is the second major report completed on this work, covering the period between 1997 and 2000.
The 2011 Queen’s Wharf Station Site excavations documented the 1850s land making process that led to the original formation of the majority of the property, along with the remains of portions of the 1855-1856 Grand Trunk Railway engine house, the contemporary Garrison Creek channelization structure, and the Queen’s Wharf that extended into the project area.