Beginning in 2005, ASI began working with the developers in the Fort York Neighbourhood to record the vestiges of the harbour infrastructure in this portion of the waterfront, particularly the Queen’s Wharf and other features built by the Grand Trunk and Northern railways to the south and east of the fort. Indeed, it is only because of these redevelopments that such work is possible. The most recent started in March of 2015, when preconstruction excavations began at a condominium site on Block 37, located at the southeast corner of Bathurst and Fort York Boulevard. The main objectives of the archaeological salvage excavations at the site were to record the remains of the first phase of construction of the Queen’s Wharf, circa 1833, and the subsequent modifications to the structure, which defined the entrance to Toronto’s harbour.
Click below to view and download "Mystery Ship Arrives at Fort York" from the July 2015 edition of The Fife and Drum.